Saturday, March 5, 2011

Put on a happy Facebook

I’m a purist. I prefer to see Facebook remain a social network. A place where friends gather to share daily life experiences and reminisce. It is dismaying to see the site being hijacked by people with agendas. I resent having their points of view foisted upon me via wall postings day after day.

The three subjects to avoid in polite company, at work and at cocktail parties; politics, religion and sex, should also not be discussed on Facebook.

I do not want to read political statements. Keep your political ideology to yourself. 

I do not want to read religious statements. Keep your belief system to yourself.

I do not want to read statements on sex. Keep your attitude, orientation and stereotypes to yourself.

Let’s add a couple of more to the list of topics to avoid:

I do not want to read special interest group statements. Keep your position on right-to-life, right-to-die, gun rights, global warming, immigration, unions, and entitlement programs to yourself.

I do not want to read conspiracy theory statements. Keep your paranoid peculiarities to yourself.

All are polarizing and bring out the worst in people. We have become such an intolerant citizenry. There can be no civil discourse. Objectivity is lost. Decorum is tossed to the wind. Decent people become indecent.

What other behaviors on Facebook drive me nuts?

I do not want to see links to articles on my wall. I don’t go to Facebook to keep current on international, national or local news. I have RSS feeds from sites that deliver the content that interests me.

I do not want to see “If you blah, blah, blah, then copy and repaste this to your wall” requests. These are equivalent to spam email messages. Stop it!

I do not want to see App Requests. I don’t trust them and I don’t want to share my Facebook profile information with unknown third party software developers.

So, let’s stay with the safe subjects. Let’s talk about our children, puppies, and/or kittens. Let’s share our vacation stories, recipes and our favorite music. Let’s revisit surviving monster storms, Spring Break and epic roadtrips. Let’s recall our favorite high school teachers, sweetest dates and class reunions.

And pictures. Don’t forget the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment